THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Friday, July 9, 2010

Communion Bread

This topic should be talked about more often but many people may have fears of speaking out. Fear not brothers and sisters Rev Rugg is on top of this. Since I have come to know the Lord in 2005 I have had the privilege of visiting many different churches outside of my home church. Time after time I have participated in communion. Communion is an awesome way to remember what the Lord Jesus did for us sinners on the cross, we do this by participating as a body of believers in breaking of bread and drinking "wine" (grape juice). These symbolize the body of our Lord being broken and His blood shed for our sins. Well I feel that through my visits in the past many churches have either been confused or have just plain forgot some facts. Let me give an example. Have you ever been to a church where you have received "The Cracker". The cracker is the most difficult to eat because of its unheard of type of dryness. The cracker if placed in a large body of water will absorb all but the fish, but in the process will turn them to jerky. When one places the cracker in his/her mouth you have no spit for a week. You feel helpless after you eat it. You have two options, 1. Run out of the pew and push an innocent child off the fountain or 2. Wait for the communion cup. If you wait for the cup you run the risk of gulping its entire contents, this shows the congregation that you either have a strong appreciation for the blood of Christ or you have a heavy drinking problem. If you run to the fountain some may think you either have bathroom issues or you have become possessed. The only method one can use to be prepared so you do not have to use either option is bringing bottled water to church with you. This will keep you in good shape when you tackle the dessert beast known as "The Cracker". The last example is "Styrofoam Wafer". This will be an experience you will never forget. The Styrofoam wafer is a perfect circle and is white with a cross shape on it. When placed in the mouth two or three chews later confusion sets in. "what is in my mouth? Is this really Bread?" Brothers and sisters BE CALM! The next natural response will be scraping it off your tongue. I speak from experience this feeling will pass. It wont taste better but it will pass. The Styrofoam wafer when I had it made me ponder if they were packing foam smashed in a patty. After this unique experience I grabbed my Bible and did a quick study. I turned to Matthew 26:26 which states: "While they were eating, Jesus took BREAD, gave thanks and broke it." I was thinking about this while I was searching for communion bread recipes. I tell Melissa all the time "when i'm done with school and the lord shows me where to preach, I want to make communion bread for my congregation" I want to not only pour my heart and soul into the preaching part of my ministry but all areas. That includes making communion bread to be good servant of the Lord. When searching for these recipes I came across "southern communion bread"! I about fell out of my office chair in laughter. This bread of all breads had 2 sticks of butter, 1/4 of the Dead Sea's salt content and ....Drum roll........CHICKEN GREASE! Yes chicken grease. Nothing like making this and sharing it with the congregation. "Lets bow our heads and take of the bread, before we do the elders will share with you a disclaimer" the elders come to the microphone. "Before eating the bread we must give you the side effects which are, heart attack, stroke, drowsiness, constipation and you may hallucinate." Then we eat after this is shared. The bright side is at least you will see the lord sooner. Communion is great. I hope where ever you go to church you remember what it is truly all about. Through "The Cracker,Styrofoam Wafer or Southern communion Bread" may you reflect on Gods gift of Salvation. May the Lord Bless you and your family! Rev. Rugg

1 comments:

Unknown said...

RJ! You're almost as funny as the "stuff christian's like" guy. :)